Sunday 15 May 2011

You Have Done It Again Mr O

It is war again!!!

I replied to one of our followers that now that both of us have blogs the dog would get one, and it would be called the Pedigree and the Pound.  But could you wait?  Not on your Nelly.  You had to go and start Dog Daze.  You are forever banished to writing about Flynn and his antics.  Do not ever think about writing as if you are the Pedigree.  He is all mine and mine only.

Okay I have got that out of the way, I will introduce you to the Pedigree.  His name is Calahorra Victory and he is a pedigree Afghan Hound.  Oh no can I hear gasps of you asking why would I want to have one of those stupid dogs?  According to the list of intelligence in dogs the Border Collie is at the top and the Afghan Hound is at the bottom, and I have had both breeds. But although I enjoyed having my Border Collie my heart has always stayed with my afghans, especially my male, El Sadi Hey Jude aka Smooth.  We had this wonderful bond between the two of us and this is one trait that an Afghan has, they are a one person dog.

The Afghan hound is one of the most ancient breeds.  Most authors acknowledge the Afghan Hound history goes back 8,000 years.  Distinguished by its thick, fine, silky coat and its tail with a ring curl at the end the breed acquired its unique features in the cold mountains of Afghanistan. In his native land, Afghanistan, the Afghan Hound excelled as a hunter where he was used against a wide variety of wild game such as antelope, gazelle and snow leopard.

No other breed of dog can claim such exotic beauty and elegance as the Afghan Hound of today,  His whole appearance is one of dignity and aloofness with not trace of plainness or coarseness.  He has a straight front, proudly carried head, eyes gazing into the distance as if in the memory of ages past.  (he is a sight hound and therefore is long sighted which tends to make him jumpy when someone approaches from the side or behind).  The striking characteristics of the breed-exotic, or “Eastern,” expression , long silky topknot, peculiar coat pattern, very prominent hipbones, large feet and the impression of a somewhat exaggerated bend in the stifle due to profuse trousering-stand out clearly, giving the Afghan Hound the appearance of what he is, a king of dogs, that has held true to tradition through the ages.

He will stand 26-28 inches and will weigh about 60 pounds.   All colors are permissible, but color or color combinations are pleasing, white markings especially on the head, are undesirable When running free the Afghan Hound moves at a gallop, showing a great elasticity and spring in his smooth, powerful stride.  When on a loose lead, the Afghan can trot at a fast pace, stepping along, he has the appearance of placing the hind feet directly in the foot prints of the front feet, both thrown straight ahead.  Moving with head and tail high, the whole appearance of the Afghan Hound is one of great style and beauty.

8 comments:

  1. Hah! You just wait 'til Flynn gets back to his blog! Then we'll see what's what. Mister Poncy Snootypants ain't got a chance against a street-smart stomach, er, dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might suggest moving Mr. O to the backyard "Doghouse" and move the children into his room....
    As mentioned for a previous situation behavioral modification is an art I am well versed in having raised 3 children, 5 grandchildren, two wives and one mistress.....it works...Life can be YOUR APPLE...take a byte and enjoy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. "According to the list of intelligence in dogs the Border Collie is at the top and the Afghan Hound is at the bottom..."

    Yes, but which breed has the most loving heart?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mr O
    Why are you calling me Mister Snooty pants when you have not even met me yet. Just because I have a very long long pedigree and I am long sighted I also like playing especially while I am a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi TAB
    Behavioral modification is a dead loss on Mr O, he does not even notice that you are doing it. I think he would notice if I moved him out to the doghouse. He would just about fit through the door way to the house part of it and would probably enjoy himself as it is very well lined and as he always wears his thermals he would not be cold. Flynn is quite adept at getting under the blankets already but always keeps my feet warm. I really do not want the new one to get into the habit of sleeping on the bed, or maybe that would be a good thing as it would proabaly push Mr O onto the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Whit
    Good question. The average size dogs heart is the same as a humans but beats more times per minute. The Labrador has the biggest heart size wise of all dogs, but for me my old Afghan had the biggest heart of all. I hope the new one will be half as in tune with me. As to choosing which one I love the most, like children you love them all but don't get on equally with all of them

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about a picture of the Afghan hound. Does he wear black too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Skinny
    I have just recieved new photos of Imran so will be posting them on Dog Daze as soon as I can prize Mr O off the computer. He does have some black on him but he is going to be a black masked silver. I had not thought about what color I would make his snoods and the net for his pig tails but with you suggestion they will definately be black

    ReplyDelete